Merck Case Study
Client Issue: Reduce cycle time and expense to bring drugs to market
- Faced with an industry-wide trend of additional spending to produce fewer drugs over longer periods of time, Merck’s BioProcess R&D Group turned to OnPoint Consulting to help close the gap between the development of its strategy and the achievement of business results.
Our Response: Revaluate mission and vision; establish change readiness
- OnPoint partnered with the BioProcess R&D team to revise the group’s five-year mission and vision and ensure that an organizational structure was in place to support its business strategy.
- We also administered a customized version of our Execution Gap Survey and Change-Readiness Survey to clarify the organization’s readiness for change and the factors that enhance and hinder its ability to effectively execute plans.
- OnPoint then facilitated a series of meetings with key stakeholders to identify the causes of poor execution and the most viable solutions, as well as clarify action steps that would have the greatest impact on execution.
Results: Commitment to strategy improves cycle time and project capacity
- As a result, 95% of employees indicated that they understood the need for change and were committed to implementing the vision, strategy, and goals.
- In addition, the new structure and role clarity helped improve cycle time and enabled the group to efficiently handle more projects without increasing headcount.